Sunday, March 31, 2013

Reflections on Domain II: Instructional Leadership


Reflections on Domain II: Instructional Leadership
            Over the past three years I have acquired a lot of experience in instructional leadership.  In my previous experience I served as Lead Special Education Teacher.  As the Lead SPED teacher I had to conduct classroom observations, mentor teachers, monitor teaching assistants, oversee lesson planning and ensure compliance with special education policies and procedures.  In my current position I serve as SPED Department Chair and Special Services Coordinator.  In this capacity I have some of the same duties I had in my previous experience with the addition of working with general education teachers to provide assistance in curriculum modifications, monitoring students’ performance and behavior and overseeing other special programs.  Through my experience I believe my greatest level of mastery lies in Domain II.
            In Competency 4, Curriculum, Measurement and Alignment of Resources I obtained experience in creating master schedules for in-class support, assisting teachers with applying modifications, developing a testing accommodations manual, and writing a technology grant for the school.  Of these experiences I enjoyed gaining knowledge in curriculum and instruction.  Working with my peers and providing guidance in applying modifications is one of the most rewarding experiences from the entire internship.  This experience is attributed to working in charter schools.  The benefit of working in a charter school is that there are several opportunities to step outside of your comfort zone.
            Another experience I enjoyed was researching and writing a technology grant for my school.  Although we were not awarded the grant, we received an honorable mention.  My taking initiative to seek a technology grant allowed my administration insight to the other skills I possess.
            My practice in Competency 5, Campus Culture and Professional Learning allowed me to develop a student reward system, create a TAKS initiative and developed a behavior management system.   The TAKS Initiative provided me an opportunity to collaborate with my principal to create an initiative designed to increase student preparedness for testing. Participating in the development of a discipline management plan gave me an opportunity to address an area of interest.  As a potential administrator my areas of interests are staff development and training, student achievement and discipline management.  With this experience I am more knowledgeable about the development of programs that shape campus culture.
            In Competency 6, Teacher Evaluation and Staff Development, I had an opportunity to conduct staff development in applying accommodations in accordance with students’ IEPs.  I really enjoyed this aspect of the internship!  The best part of conducting the training was getting feedback from my peers.  Since professional development is my primary interest I would like to seek more experience in this area.
 In addition to professional development, I observed the teaching assistants at both my previous campus and current campus.  My observations occurred while the teaching assistants worked with students.  After my observations I had an opportunity to meet with the assistants, share my observations and offer suggestions for improvement when improvement was needed.  This allowed me to gain understanding of the evaluation procedures.
Most of my experience in Competency 7, Decision-Making and Problem Solving came from my participation on the SBDM Committee.  As a member I provide input to decisions that impact the campus.  This is my first time serving in this capacity.  Although our committee is not as active as it should be, I have still learned a lot about the decision making process on both a campus level and district level.
My experiences in problem solving occurred from mediating various situations on campus and making suggestions to improve some processes.  When a dispute occurred between two teachers I was asked to mediate.  I met with the teachers and provided each an opportunity to state their side of the conflict.  As I listened I took notes.  As a mediator I worked with the teachers to process the situation and to come up with a resolution.  This situation allowed me to practice some of the skills I acquired through my studies.
To summarize my experience in Domain II I would have to say my level of mastery is most proficient in this area because of my role and position on my campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment