Sunday, March 31, 2013

Reflections on Domain I: School Community Leadership


Reflections on Domain I: School Community Leadership
            
My overall internship experience was great. Despite some setbacks I learned a lot during this process. As I was finalizing my internship plan I realized how much effort it takes to be an administrator of a campus. I also realized through this process how many extra duties I’ve taken on prior to entering the Lamar Masters program. Although I’ve gained experience in all of the domains, the one in which I feel I have the most mastery due to experience is Domain I, School and Community Leadership.

Prior to entering the field of education I worked in non-profit environments. My previous experience in community programs helped me in the three competencies: Vision and Campus Culture; Communication and Collaboration that Supports Student Success; and Integrity and Ethics. In Competency One the most rewarding experiences came from participating on the campus’ Site Based Decision Making Committee. As a member of the committee I am actively involved in the decision making process on my campus. One of the major issues we had related to discipline. As a committee we developed a color coded system designed to decrease office referrals.

In addition to participating on the SBDM Committee I also learned a great deal about analyzing data and developing action plans for continuous improvement. With the experience obtained through my internship I now have a better understanding of how a school’s vision and mission shapes campus culture.

The experience obtained through activities under Competency Two, Communication and Collaboration That Promotes Student Success, I had an opportunity to use resources and skills from my previous experience in the non-profit arena. Two of the most rewarding experiences I had were writing letters to area stores seeking donations for toys for The Kids Connect program and partnering with the Houston Area Urban League to provide opportunities for the school’s parents. In addition to partnering with community organizations, I actively participated in planning activities to increase parental involvement. In my current position I have assisted in directing school plays, participated in 504 meetings and planning of activities for parents. Since my campus is located in a church owned building, I have several opportunities to collaborate with some of the church programs. Through these experiences I learned the importance of effective communication between stakeholders.

In my current position as special education teacher and department lead I have gained a lot of experience in Competency 3, Integrity and Ethics. As department lead I work closely with the district’s Director of Special Education to ensure that we provide services for the special education students in compliance with the law. In this capacity I have gained the most experience in the importance of making ethical decisions.

The activity in which I gained the most knowledge came from attending a school board meeting. Although I have attended board meetings in the past, the experience is totally different now that I have an understanding of administrative practices. During the meeting I learned how school board meetings are conducted, what type of items are placed on the agenda, how the board makes decisions and what happens when a consensus is not reached. In addition to the board meeting I attended a parent meeting to discuss the selection of a new principal at the neighborhood high school. After the meeting I had an opportunity to talk to one of the Superintendents of Hiring. During my meeting with her I learned details of the principal selection process.

No comments:

Post a Comment